Welcome to "Natural Science"! This blog is dedicated to bringing you amazing facts about the natural world around you, and as a place to display my fossil, insect, rock/mineral, and other collections. I hope you enjoy the posts and pictures; feel free to leave a comment to tell me! Thank you

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Spanish Moth


(I took a picture of a Spanish Moth on the side of my house and thought I would share it)

Spanish Moth
The Spanish Moth, actually named Xanthopastis timais, are found in the south and central America in addition to the Caribbean. They are also found in North America ranging around Texas to New York down to Florida. The North American variety's larvae have black and white bands and are often referred to as "convict caterpillars". The adults however, have pink and black fore wings with orange along the veins; their body is covered with black and grey fuzz. The adults usually live for around 8-10 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment